BUILD: Strength Training Program
START DATE: Tuesday, Jan 3, 2017
FORMAT: THE TEXAS METHOD
PRIMARY FOCUS: Press (Overhead / Bench), Squat, Dead Lift
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Intermediate / Advanced / Possibly Beginners (talk to us)
Tuesday & Thursdays @ 7:00 AM
Mondays & Wednesdays @ 7:15 PM
*The PM sessions will mirror the AM sessions so do not attend classes on back to back days. We suggest you stick to either the AM series or the PM, if possible. This will allow for maximum recovery between sessions. The Texas Method will wear you out quickly if you are not eating, and sleeping properly.
Check WODIFY for the most up to date schedule. Class sizes are limited so register in advance. Email Dani about advanced registering for 4, 8 or 12 weeks if you want to commit and ensure your spot.
– MARK RIPPETOE
THE TEXAS METHOD
The BUILD PROGRAM is going to start with an adaptation of Mark Rippetoe’s and Glenn Pendlay’s Texas Method. This routine came originally from Glenn Pendlay’s athletes becoming bored with the standard 5×5 three times weekly. As a response, Pendlay said to his athletes “If you hit a 1×5 personal record on Friday, you don’t need to do five sets total; you can just stick to one set on Friday and go home,” from there the idea was born.
The Texas Method is a 3 workout cycle that we will initially be doing on a 2 Day / Week schedule. Each day is considered a full body workout, where you will Squat and do upper body. DAY 1 is the highest volume day, Day 2 is considered a light day, and DAY 3 has the heaviest weights, considered to be the “intensity day”.
Typical progression is about 5-10 pound increases weekly. Over time, this compounds into considerable progress at the intermediate stage.
Here is how it will look across 2 weeks:
Tuesday – Volume Day
- Squat 5×5 at 90% of 5 rep max
- Bench Press or OHP 5×5 at 90% of 5 rep max
- Deadlift 1×5 at 90% of 5 rep max
Thursday – Light/Recovery Day
- Squat 2×5 at 80% of Tuesday’s weight
- OHP (if you benched on Tuesday) 3×5 at a slightly lighter load than previous 5×5. Bench Press (if you OHP on Tuesday) 3×5 at 90% of previous 5×5 weight.
- Chin Ups 3x bodyweight
- Back Extensions or glute-ham raises 5×10
Tuesday – Intensity Day
- Squats warmup, then work up in singles or doubles to one single, new 5RM
- Bench Press (if you bench pressed the previous Tuesday) or overhead press (if you OHP on Tuesday), warm-up, then work up in singles or doubles to one single, new 5RM
- Power Cleans 5 x 3 reps or power snatch, 6 x 2 reps
Thursday – a new Volume Day
Why BUILD and the Texas Method is for you
See noticeable strength gains and FAST.
It will compliment your CrossFit WODS nicely. Some considerations will need to be made.